Recently the Legislative branch considered whether to try to expand the Supreme Court by adding 4 new seats to the Court to make 13 justices instead of 9 justices. The Constitution does not outline specifically how many justices must be appointed. Some have argued that this could “pack the court” with liberal justices. Others have argued that it might create a balance with the conservative-tipped bench presently in place.
Answer the following questions:
1) Are these two heads to the same coin, so to speak? Either way, what effects, if any, would this action, if taken, have on the long term requirements for the Supreme Court?
2) What are the pros and cons to expanding the Supreme Court, especially relating to its possible effects on judicial review? Give illustrative examples of what could happen.
3) Do you think this is merely a political move or a necessary move?
4) What are your thoughts on this issue? Is diversity an issue that should be considered?
5) Do you think the framers intended the Supreme Court to be expanded and or packed on one side or the other?
6) What can we learn from history about this? Has it ever happened before? If so, what was the net effect — and why?
1.Are ethical theories relevant for ethical leadership? Explain.
2. How should a police officer respond if the officer witnesses the unethical behavior of another officer?