Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read the instructor guidance, the qualitative section of Chapter 7 and all of Chapter 9 in the Creswell and Creswell text, the article by Bieler et al. titled Distributing Reflexivity Through Co-laborative EthnographyLinks to an external site., the article by Morgan et al. titled Case Study Observational Research: A Framework for Conducting Case Study Research Where Observation Data Are the FocusLinks to an external site., the article by Spector-Mersel & Knaifel titled Narrative Research on Mental Health Recovery: Two Sister ParadigmsLinks to an external site., and the article by Urcia titled Comparisons of Adaptations in Grounded Theory and Phenomenology: Selecting the Specific Qualitative Research MethodologyLinks to an external site.. Also review Standard 8 of the APA Ethical Principles for Psychologists and Code of ConductLinks to an external site. from Week 1. Your instructor will post an announcement with the reference for the qualitative research study you will discuss and critique in this discussion. The study will be found in the UAGC Library. Refer to the Library resource How Do I Find an Article When I Have a Citation?Links to an external site. if you need help finding the article.
In your initial post, consider the following:
• What is the research question? How does a qualitative research question differ from the research question in a quantitative study?
• What procedure was used to recruit participants for the sample? Was the sample size appropriate? Why or why not?
• What do you think the researcher’s paradigm was?
• What evidence of reflexivity do you see in the research report?
• What ethical considerations were mentioned in the research report? What applicable ethical considerations can you think of that were not mentioned by the researchers?
• How might a qualitative approach be useful for the research topic you chose in Week 1?