Although social justice art is not a topic exclusive to the 20th and 21st centuries, the distribution of information regarding controversial art with gender, race, sexual, and/or environmental themes has increased with the proliferation of media. Choose an example of a social justice work of art from the 20th or 21st centuries from any discipline of the humanities (music, literature, sculpture, film, television, etc.). Then, address the following:
· Identify the work and the medium.
· Based on your example, to what extent does this work of art make a social contribution?
· What aesthetic value does the work have? How does it reflect the human condition? How does it relate to your life?
· Has this work ever been censored? If so, explain the circumstances.
· Are governments ever justified in censoring art? Why or why not?
· Examine some of the influences of this work of art. What was the public reaction to this work? Does it effectively portray its message?
· Argue whether or not this work should be considered art. Explain why using terms learned in this course.
· Include an accompanying statement from the artist(s) and a statement from a critic to support your points.